If you are new to canning and looking for the best pressure canner for beginners than you have come to the right place. People mostly believe that pressure cookers can be used for canning but that is not the case. You can use most of the pressure canners as cookers but not the other way round. If you are just a beginner with the whole canning process and want to store your excess food than you need to look for the following features in order to invest in something that is reliable, right size and affordable at the same time.
Aluminum Vs stainless steel canner for beginners:
When choosing the material for the pressure canner for beginners, you can go for aluminum or stainless steel. But we recommend you the aluminum canners as they are light weight, easy to handle and heats up quickly. The only drawback is that it doesn’t work on induction cook tops. So if you don’t have induction at home, feel free to buy a stainless steel canner.
Capacity of the canner for beginners:
As a beginner you must go for a 15-25 quart capacity canner. Anything less than that would not be able to sterilize efficiently and there is pretty good chance that your food might go to waste. So buy a canner that can hold almost 5 to 6 quart jars at one time. You can always layer it up by putting racks in the canner.
Another thing to consider is the price of the object. Most often the low price product compromise on quality. You must buy a canner that is affordable but of good quality. You can select a product from our list of canners that are affordable, tested and good in quality.
Dial gauge vs. weighted gauge:
Choosing between a dial gauge and a weighted gauge totally depends on your preferences. A pressure canner maintains a pressure between 12 to 15 PSI and the heat go up to almost 240 degree Fahrenheit. In this situation, you need to monitor the temperature and pressure exactly in order to perfectly can your food items.
A dial gauge is easy to read and you can adjust the pressure by simply turning the heat up or down. A little bit of maintenance is required yearly for precise measurements. On the other hand the weighted gauge requires no such maintenance and you can easily put the ring according to your desired pressure. Once the weight begins to jiggle, it means that you have reached the desired pressure. It is relatively easy method but it limits you to only specific pressure levels according to your weights.
Following is a list of pressure canners that we have tried and recommend to you as well.
Mirro – 7114000221 Mirro 92122A Polished Aluminum 5 / 10 / 15-PSI Pressure Cooker / Canner Cookware, 22-Quart, Silver
It is a weighted gauge pressure canner best suited for your needs as beginner in canning.
The main features of this product are
• It is build with aluminum and is rust free
• This pressure canner can achieve 5, 10 or 15 PSI pressure.
• Most of the reviewers believe that this canner doesn’t make much noise and the weighted gauge is quiet.
• It has automatic locking mechanism and the steam is regulated.
This is the best pressure canner for beginners as it can also be used as a water bath canner and can contain 7 quart jars. It is easy to use so we highly recommend it to you.
Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker
Presto is the best in producing quality and reliable canners since 1900s and you can rely on its products even with your eyes closed as they don’t disappoint.
The presto 01781 23 quart is the best pressure canner for beginners with a dial gauge and you can precisely measure the temperature and pressure according to your requirements. It is perfect for making a large batch to canned food.
The main features are
• It is made of warp free aluminum that lasts long.
• As a beginner, you can also use it for water bath canning.
• It can reach upto 20 PSI
• This presto canner comes with a rack which allows stacking the jars for larger batch.
• It has an air vent which is covered and prevent the lock from opening under pressure.
The reviews of this product are amazing on amazon and customers highly recommend this canner for beginners and home use. Despite its large capacity, it is lightweight and thus a game changer
All American 915 Canner Pressure Cooker, 15.5 qt, Silver
All American is the best brand while looking for professional and home canners. This All American 915 15.5 qt is the best pressure canner for beginners. You might find it a little costly as a beginner but it is worth every dime. Its once is a lifetime kind of a pressure canner that can easily fulfill all your canning needs.
- We can look at some of the features to easily understand the pros of buying this canner
- It doesn’t require any gaskets as It has a unique metal to metal lid locking mechanism.
- The exterior is build with hand-cast aluminum which is the most durable and reliable of all.
- It uses clamping nuts to secure the lid and eliminates the risk of leakage.
- An extra safety feature includes a venting valve and an overpressure plug.
- It has huge capacity and can hold up to ten pint jars at one time.
- The handles stay cool during the whole canning process which makes it easier to move it around the kitchen.
Overall it is one of the best pressure canner for beginners and worth the money invested. Even if you are new to canning, this pressure cooker is your best choice as customers are loving this product on Amazon and giving positive reviews about buying this canner for home use.
T-fal Pressure Canner with Pressure Control, 3 PSI Settings, 22 Quart, Silver – 7114000511
If you are looking to easily set the PSI then this pressure canner is exactly what you need. It is a dial gauge canner and one of the best pressure canner for beginners. T-fal is usually knows for its modern technology cooking gadgets and this canner is one of them.
The main features that distinguishes it from rest of the canners are
- It has a pressure monitoring device built in the system.
- This canner can also be used as a pressure cooker for preparing delicious meals for an entire family.
- The polished aluminum body is rust proof and durable.
The customers have all the positive things to say about this pressure canner. It comes with a cooking rack and a recipe book as well.
We come to the conclusion that as a beginner you should go for Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner as the first choice. It is spacious enough to hold a large amount of jars but not too big to move around when not full. The second choice is All American 915 Canner 15.5 qt as it is the most reliable canner and last a lifetime. In the end, it all depends on the your preferences. If you want a professional home canner, go for All American, on the other if you want a model with a dial gauge then you should go for the presto canner which is the best pressure canner for beginners.